Based in New York, New York
Signal Decay (formerly known as Squad Of Saviors) is a rogue-lite action game set in a future dystopia with unique cooperative stealth gameplay. As the only human beings to have escaped the global manipulation of mind-control technology, you are called upon by a mysterious computer to save the world. Signal Decay is about player communication and coordination. It is where XCOM meets Monaco -- combining the experience of coordinating XCOM operators with interations of Monaco. Players infiltrate military bases with reactive defense systems. Each action has an instant effect and longer consequences, and a strategic decision is a balance of risk and benefit. Coordination is always the most important factor for a successful mission, and trust is the antidote to the ever-escalating pressure.
Signal Decay was originally an MFA thesis, SAVIORS at NYU Game Center by Zack Zhang. When the project started, Zack wanted to make a replayable cooperative in which players need to communicate and coordinate. Players solve emergent problems in a complex system, which feels like a dynamic agent movie as well. There was no game quite like this. The thesis ended with a playable demo with basic mechanics on tactics. After Zack Zhang graduated, he decided to start a company and continue to develop this game. The game was renamed to Squad Of Saviors then, and won IGF China finalist afterwards. The gameplay was further iterated and changed a lot after that. During the game development, NYU Game Center community was very helpful. Playtest Thursday and advice/suggestions from people there provide very useful insights to make the game better and better. Michael Song joined the team helping out on PR stuff in April, 2016. The graphics was improved and became solid two years after the project was conceived and started (finally!) in June, 2016. Then James Cao joined to help with the visual design of the game.
- Designed for 1 to 3 players to play.
- Unique cooperative stealth gameplay.
- Second strategy layer in which players piloting an airship to find a path to complete the operation successfully.
- Using weapons and equipment to customize gameplay.
- Collecting and managing resource to unlock new technology, build ammunition, and heal.
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "BostonFIG Official Selection" Boston, MA, September, 2016
- "IndiePlay Excellence in Innovation Winner" Shanghai, July, 2016
- "Indie Prize Official Seletion" Casual Connect USA, July, 2016
- "Indie MINIBOOTH showcase" PAX East, Boston, MA, April, 2016
- "IGF China Main Competition Finalist 2015" Shanghai, October 10th, 2015
- "Colorful and readable and pretty distinct from everything else on the market right now."
- Akhan, HandsomeTrustWorthy
- "So much of the modern co-op gaming scene is focused on hectic action games which are more about reflex than planning. Signal Decay looks to change that."
- Marcus Estrada, Hardcore Gamer
About Nela System
A small indie game studio founded by Zack Zhang. With formal training on game design at NYU Game Center, we are here to create novel gameplay letting players tell their own interesting stories.
More information on Nela System, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Signal Decay Credits
Creator (Designer, Artist, Programmer, Sound Designer)